You may be wondering what words of wisdom a young pup like me could possibly offer graduating humans. Let me first assure you that I too have been to school, 'puppy school', AND I graduated "Magna Cum Rowdy" (yes, I had a lot of energy ; ) I know you've sat through classes for years now and the last thing you want to do is read a bunch more words, so I'll try to keep it short and interesting. I call this "Merlin's Top 10 Tips for Graduates":
10) Run - In other words do what you are made for. We dogs love to run and run and run. What do you love? What are your talents? Try to find work that you are excited to get up for in the morning.
9) Sniff - Try new things. Don't get in a rut.
8) Don't' Worry About the Cats - Not everyone is going to like you. I once heard a statistic that no matter how nice you are, at least 10% of those you meet won't like you. So be true to yourself and worry less about the cats who may never like you. You could waste a lot of time trying to win over those 10% without success. Just relax, have fun with the other 90% and enjoy your life.
7) Listen Like a Dog - We dogs don't really speak much. Maybe that's why people enjoy having us around. Learn to be a really good listener. It will affect all your relationships in a positive way.
6) Bury the Bone - If someone gets you mad, get over it quickly and move on. So many waste a lot of precious time being mad. It probably wrecks your day more than theirs anyway. Every time you decide to forgive you get stronger and your days will be happier.
5) Dig Deep - Don't be afraid of hard work and things that take a long time. Any good goal takes time and often hard work. The harder you have to work for your goal, the more you'll appreciate it in the end. So be patient and persevere.
4) Chill - The world is a busy place. So give yourself time alone occasionally to listen and stay in sync with your heart.
3) Jump - Aim high and jump. A life worth living is one that also involves risks. If you always play it safe your spirit will get bored. Have goals in your life that are challenging and make you grow. You'll never be sorry that you tried to do big things but you'll probably be sorry later if you didn't.
2) Lick the Hand That Feeds You - Life is a gift. Every good thing that comes your way is a gift. Take time each day to say 'thank you' for something. Say it often, "thank you for the walk, thank you for the treat, thank you, thank you, thank you". It will keep your heart soft and help your step be a little springier (like mine ; )
1) Love - That's my trick. I try to love everyone. Whether you're dog or human, it's our main reason for being here. Find ways to make a difference and show others you care. You can never outdo love. No matter how much you give out, it always has a way of coming right back at ya.