Winter is a time when coyotes are likely to be out, foraging for food, according to a press release from the village. The village listed the following precautions to help keep residents and their pets safe:
- Never attempt to fee a coyote. That's how most bites occur.
- Never leave pets unattended out of doors. Pets should be on a leash outside and not let to run on their own in yards.
- Don't leave food bowls, toys or bones outside, and clean up scraps before dusk.
- Close garbage cans tightly, and even place them in a shed or a garage.
- Cover window wells and repair cracked porch stoops.
- Repair weak, rotted areas of roofs, soffits, fascia boards or wooden porch enclosures.