Dominick's announced last fall that it was exiting the Chicago market and closing or selling off 72 stores. Glenview's Dominick's is one of four Dominick's throughout the Chicago area that were purchased by Jewel parent Safeway, according to Crain's.
Dominick's opened the 62,000-square-foot store in 2001 — one of the many retailers to build new stores when the former Glenview Naval Air Station was redeveloped as The Glen Shopping Center.
Safeway closed its other Dominick's store at 1020 Waukegan Road in downtown Glenview in 2007. Cleveland-based Heinen's Fine Foods is now constructing a 44,000-square-foot grocery store on the site, aiming for an April 2014 opening. Dominick's has asked the new owner to consider interviewing and hiring the grocery's store current employees, according to the village of Glenview. Jewel operates two other stores in Glenview, at 2775 Pfingsten Rd. and 2502 Waukegan Rd.