.

Welding Accident Causes Hotel Fire in Glenview

About $550,000 worth of damage occurred when trees and the building's exterior caught on fire Wednesday.

The following report was provided by the Glenview Fire Department. 

On Wednesday, Sept. 19, at approximately 5:10 p.m., Glenview Fire Department officials say a passing motorist made a 911 call to report a tree on fire next to the Courtyard Hotel. While en route, more 911 calls were received reporting smoke was in the building too.

On arrival, responding firefighters found nearby trees, shrubs and the exterior of the hotel on fire. Fire extended up side of building into the roof and attic space.

First on-scene firefighters extinguished the exterior fires, while additional firefighters gained access to the attic and extinguished spot fires that were not fully extinguished by the building fire sprinkler system.

Mutual aid fire departments from Northbrook, Niles and Prospect Heights assisted the Glenview Fire Department.

Glenview fire investigators determined through evidence and interviews of hotel employees and construction personnel working at the hotel that the fire was caused by a welding operation taking place on a third floor balcony. Hot sparks fell to the dry landscaping below and started the bushes on fire.

It's estimated about $550,000 worth of damage occurred.

"Like" Glenview Patch on Facebook to see future community updates in your news feed. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »